Artwork, web projects, and updates to LiamDaly.com

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Masterpiece and Mostaccioli

When the weather agrees, my 9-year-old son rides on the back of my elongated bicycle, and we get to talk to rabbits and geese as if they were part of the family. If we're lucky we see a raccoon scurry away. For Quinn to sit stationary out in the elements for our 6-mile trip home, last night was way too cold. But there's not much wrong with short sunset and moonlit walks either. At an Italian cafe, we ate under the Mona Lisa.

-Is that the real picture?
-It's a print, a picture of the real one.
-It's a picture of a picture?
-Yes. The real one is hanging in France, in Paris.
-I don't see what's so good about it. Everybody is always going on about it.
-I don't know why they do either, but the man who painted it was pretty famous and he only painted 81 or 83 pictures so...
-That's not many; you've painted more than that.
-I have, but he was busy doing other things, some very important. Do you remember that film we saw?
-He was a scientist.
-Yes he was.
-And you are busy doing other things too.
-Well I am quite busy, yes.
-I still don't see what's so special; you could paint a picture and just hang it in a gallery like that.
-Maybe.
-I see they painted in black and white in those days too.

Comments:
In the Louvre, I far prefer 'The Raft of the Medusa'. Now that is a painting.
 
I'm guessing you're not talking the version by Asger Jorn? - which I prefer to your GĂ©ricault
 
Post a Comment



<< Blog Home

And Here's The Stuff I Wrote Earlier:

  • November 2005
  • December 2005
  • January 2006
  • February 2006
  • March 2006
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • March 2007
  • August 2008
  • October 2008
  • November 2008
  • December 2008
  • February 2009
  • March 2009
  • April 2009
  • July 2009
  • September 2009
  • April 2010
  • May 2010
  • June 2010
  • October 2010
  • December 2010
  • September 2012
  • This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?